On the Illinois State Marriage Index: http://www.ilsos.gov/isavital/marriagesrch.jsp, I was searching for a marriage of Nicholas Bradbury and Ida Allen.
So I entered brad for the groom and allen for the bride. Nicholas and Idea came right up.
Turns out Bradburry is spelled with two "r's". Never would have found this otherwise.
Example 2: I was looking for Samuel Brummell, getting married to Mary Foster. When I enter Brummell, Samuel, the marriage is not there.
However; when I enter brum for the groom and fost for the bride, they come right up. He was indexed as S. M. Brummell.
I went to the marriage site and entered for the groom dur. For the bride, the name was brummell. So I entered brum. The record came right up showing the full name Charles F Durr.
Note: Anytime a record is transcribed by the human eye, because of poor handwriting and spelling, you must know the tricks.
Example 4: The name I was looking for as the death record gave a mother I didn't have. So I wanted to see what the marriage stated. The name was George D. Foote married to Abigail Jane St. John. That's the spelling.
I went to the marriage site and knowing that St. John might be problematic, I entered Foote, Geo just like I have it in my database. No results.
So I entered simply Foot, Geo. (No "e" at the end of "foot" and no name for the bride.) This time, it came right up. It was indexed as Foot, George D and spouse was Saint John, Abby Jane.
I never would have found it with the information I had. The wonderful thing is this search method works for that entire site.
Example 5: I had a Schuyler Franklin on the deaths listed with a spouse as emma nort... I went to the marriage site, entered Franklin, sc and nothing else. It displays a butchered Franklin, Schyrilor to Emma Northcut.